|Brek Shea (FC Dallas)|
Our streak of big name MLS stars for "11 Questions" continues this week with one of the biggest up and coming players in the league and for the USMNT, FC Dallas Midfielder Brek Shea.
A Texan, born and raised, Brek is the middle of five children and grew up in College Station right up until high school. While in school he played with the Texans FC youth organization where he won four straight state titles while with the squad. Later in high school Shea moved on to the US Soccer Residency program in Bradenton, Florida and graduated high school while in Florida finishing in the top 10 of his class.
He spent time training in England with the Bolton Wanderers, and more recently, Arsenal, but ultimately was drafted second overall in 2008 by FC Dallas of Major League Soccer. While experimenting in a number of positions, Brek was moved to the midfield last season where his strength and speed allowed him to excel at the position. He was named a 2011 MLS All-Star and was a nominee for MLS player of the year; he is also frequently mentioned as a potential target of European based teams.
Off the pitch Brek is a talented artist, having recently opened "Left Foot Studio" in Dallas where he sells his artwork to support FC Dallas charities. Also known for devoting his spare time to help disadvantaged youth in the Dallas area and helping to spread the game, Shea is the face of the franchise at this point, and a good choice for the role.
With all that going on, we were excited to snag Brek for a couple minutes to ask him our "11 Questions" and see what else we could learn from the blond-haired beast! Here is what he had to say:
1. South Africa had the Jabulani, Mexico had the Azteca, but what would you name the official World Cup ball next time it is played in the US?
Wow, I have no idea. A better question is whether or not Adidas will still be sponsoring the World Cup ball in 2026. (Editor's Note: Apparently this question spawned a 10 minute debate with the entire FC Dallas team at practice about Adidas and sponsorship for the World Cup.)
2. What sport would you be playing if you didn't play soccer?
Um, I don't know, football
3. I don't always drink beer, but when I do I prefer ______? (favorite beer).
Not a big beer fan.
4. I'll give you the shirt off my back. Which opponent's jersey have you received following a match that you cherish the most?
Marco Materazzi (Italy)
5. Justin Bieber might be coming to town, but who do you really want to see in concert?
I like a lot of different genres. Rap - Lil Wayne, Country - Eli Young Bang or Rodney Atkins
6. Put me in coach. If you were coaching yourself as a player, what area would you tell yourself to focus on for improvement?
My right foot
7. Game day, 1 hour before kick-off, what's on in your headphones for motivation?
Loud, loud music
8. Team spirit. Who's your favorite sports team to cheer for outside of soccer?
9. Chance of a lifetime. Would you give up your soccer career if you had a chance to fly into space?
No, why would I want to go there?
10. Have it your way. Whether at home or on the road, what fast food chain are you visiting?
I'm a Chick-Fil-A fan
11. Coming to a theater near you. Who would play the part of you in a movie about your life?
Ah, I have no idea, that's crazy.
Thanks again to Brek and best wishes to him and the rest of the FC Dallas team with their MLS Season. Special thanks to Jason Minnick with FCD communications for helping out with the interview.
Have you missed any of our "11 Questions" interviews over the last few weeks? You can find them all under the "11 Questions" tab on our home page.