|Courtesy of mlssoccer.com|
Brian is the first Hawaiian born American to play on the US Men’s National team registering 11 goals in 45 appearances including a trip to the 2006 World Cup in Germany. His youth career took him from the islands to Gonzaga University in Washington while also playing for the Spokane Shadow club during school. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2001, playing 1 season before heading back to the northwest to join the Seattle Sounders of the former A-League. In 2003 Brian was acquired by the San Jose Earthquakes where his club career began to take off. In 2004 he led MLS (along with Eddie Johnson) with a total of 12 goals earning the Golden Boot and was named to the MLS Best XI for that season. When the Earthquakes moved to Houston to become the Dynamo in 2006, Ching started the new club’s history with a dramatic 4 goal opening match against Colorado. Houston rolled through the season making it to the MLS Cup where Brian scored the tying and game winning goals in extra time to give Houston the title over New England. For all of his accomplishments on the pitch, it’s his charity work with his organization, “The House that Ching Built” that has made the biggest impact on Houston. Partnering with Habitat for Humanity, Brian has raised over $50,000 towards the construction of a low-income home in Houston which is currently under construction. International goals, Golden Boot awards, charity work; that’s all well and good Mr. Ching, but you have yet to conquer “11 Questions”, let’s see if you can add that to your trophy case!
1. South Africa had the Jabulani, Mexico had the Azteca, but what would you name the official World Cup ball next time it is played in the US ?
2. What sport would you be playing if you didn't play soccer?
3. I don't always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Coors Light?
4. I'll give you the shirt off my back. Which opponent's jersey have you received following a match that you cherish the most?
I don't collect jerseys
5. Justin Bieber might be coming to town, but who do you really want to see in concert?
Who is that? Linkin Park
6. Put me in coach. If you were coaching yourself as a player, what area would you tell yourself to focus on for improvement?
Awareness. Taking more looks over my shoulder before I receive the ball.
7. Game day, 1 hour before kick-off, what's on in your headphones for motivation?
Offspring, Linkin Park, Blue October, Evans Blue, Weezer, Rob Zombie
8. Team spirit. Who's your favorite sports team to cheer for outside of soccer?
9. Chance of a lifetime. Would you give up your soccer career if you had a chance to fly into space?
Nowadays, yes. Not five years ago, though. Haha. (I’m calling NASA)
10. Have it your way. When you're in the US , what fast food chain are you visiting?
Micky D's and Taco Bell . Um, I mean if I ate fast food.
11. Coming to a theater near you. Who would play the part of you in a movie about your life?
The Asian guy from the Hangover.
A special thanks to Jonathan Yardley at Houston Dynamo Media Relations for assisting us with the interview. You can follow Brian Ching on Twitter @brianching or on his website.